IELTS SPEAKING

EXPRESSING YOUR OPINIONS

It is very important that you practise giving opinions before your speaking test. 

Questions in Part One and Part Three of the test often ask about your likes/dislikes, opinions about issues, or give you an opinion and ask whether you agree or disagree.

Here are some ways you can show the examiner you are giving an opinion:

Easiest first:

The easiest way is to say:

I think that + CLAUSE

Don't use this too often! This is the most common and easiest way! It is also easy to make a mistake with pronunciation! Not recommended!


Continue reading for more interesting ways to give your opinion...


Try to use a range of ALTERNATIVES:

  • I believe that + CLAUSE 
  • I feel that + CLAUSE

If you are LESS SURE, say:

  • I suppose that + CLAUSE
  • I suspect that + CLAUSE
  • I guess that + CLAUSE    (this one is quite informal)

PHRASES:
Try not to get the following phrases mixed up!

  • In my opinion,        (remember OPINION is singular)
  • In my view,             (remember IN + VIEW)

  • From my perspective,    (FROM + PERSPECTIVE)
  • From my point of view,   (FROM + POINT OF VIEW)

  • As far as I'm concerned,
  • As far as I know,            (NOT "as I know...")

ADVERBS
Use ADVERBS at the start of your sentence to show personal, honest or general opinions:
  • Personally (speaking), I believe that...
  • Honestly/Frankly (speaking), I feel that...          + CLAUSE
  • Generally (speaking), I suppose that...

NO OPINION
If you don't have an OPINION, don't worry! You can say you don't have an opinion (and then try to give your best answer):

  • I'm afraid I have never thought about that before, but I suppose... + CLAUSE
  • I suppose I would say that... + CLAUSE
  • I'm not really sure, but I guess... + CLAUSE

AGREEING and DISAGREEING
Some questions might ask if you think something is true or not. You can say:

  • I agree/disagree WITH + NOUN (you/ this idea / this opinion)
or
  • I agree/disagree THAT + CLAUSE

Or simply answer YES or NO.
  • Yes, I think that's true.
  • No, I don't think so.

You can also agree or disagree using adverbs:
  • Certainly.    / Certainly not.
  • Absolutely. / Absolutely not.
  • Definitely. /Definitely not.
Remember to follow up by explaining and giving examples/reasons for your opinion!

 

Practice Task:

Try answering these questions by using the different methods for giving an opinion:

  1. What is your favourite food?
  2. Why do you think children like to play computer games?
  3. Do you think air pollution is a serious problem?
  4. Some people think learning a second language is important. Do you think that is true?
  5. Do you agree that there are too many adverts on TV nowadays?






沒有留言: