Vocabulary

USING VOCABULARY

Many students feel that they need to learn MORE vocabulary. 

Actually, in many cases, it is better to learn to use vocabulary well

We can often do this by reviewing vocabulary we already know.

Here are some ways to make sure you use vocabulary accurately and effectively.

Keep reading for some tips, examples and a task...





1. WORD FORMS

Make sure you know the NOUN, VERB, ADJECTIVE and ADVERB forms of the word.

To give an easy example, consider the word HAPPY.

HAPPINESS (n.) - NO VERB  - HAPPY (adj.) - HAPPILY (adv.)

Now we can write the following sentences accurately.
  • HAPPINESS is often forgotten in modern society.
  • Employees are not always HAPPY at work.
  • A good working environment can help employees to work HAPPILY.
 Also make sure you know the NEGATIVE FORM.
  • Some employees may be UNHAPPY due to the constant pressure of work.
1.1 NOUNS
 
For NOUNS, make sure you know whether the word is COUNTABLE or UNCOUNTABLE (or BOTH!) and the PLURAL FORM (if there is one).

COUNTABLE:      dog - dogs / child - children
 
UNCOUNTABLE : pollution, water, happiness

1.2 VERBS
 
If the word has a VERB FORM, make sure you know the  
 
INFINITIVE,  PAST and PAST PARTICIPLE FORMS:
 
For example:
 
TAKE - TOOK - TAKEN 
 
Also make sure you know whether the verb takes an OBJECT:
 
I took MY DOG to the park.
He brought HIS BONE with him.
 

2. COLLOCATIONS

COLLOCATION means that words often GO TOGETHER. 

If you only learn each word individually, you may not know how to use the vocabulary effectively.

Here are some examples of words which can go with HAPPY in different WORD FORMS:
  • to achieve(v) HAPPINESS
  • to value (v) HAPPINESS
  • to be / become(v) HAPPY
  • to be in a HAPPY mood (n)
  • to be desperately(adv.) UNHAPPY
  • the importance of HAPPINESS

We often use HAPPY to describe times in our life:
  • a happy CHILDHOOD
  • a happy MARRIAGE
  • a happy RETIREMENT
  • a happy ENDING (to a book or a movie)
 
Even "easy" words can be used as good vocabulary if they are combined with other words as collocations or phrases.

3. SYNONYMS

Thinking about SYNONYMS (words with the same or similar meaning) can also be useful.

HAPPY
  • PLEASED
  • DELIGHTED
  • GLAD
  • APPRECIATIVE
  • ECSTATIC (very happy)
HAPPINESS
  • CONTENTMENT
  • DELIGHT
  • ECSTASY
UNHAPPY
  • SAD
  • DOWN
  • BLUE 
  • UPSET

4. PHRASES AND IDIOMS

Some phrases and idioms can also be useful.

to be HAPPY :)
  • to be over the moon
  • to be on cloud nine
  • to be in high spirits
  • to be in a good mood
 to be UNHAPPY :(
  • to feel blue
  • to be down in the dumps
  • to be down in the mouth
 
5. SUMMARY

By reviewing even simple vocabulary like this we can make sure that our sentences are ACCURATE, and improve our RANGE at the same time.


TASK-  SPOT THE MISTAKES
 There is one vocabulary error in each sentence. Can you spot them all?
  • He was very exciting to see the movie.
  • The teacher tell us last week about his vacation.
  • I was on cloud eight when I got my IELTS scores.
  • People get happiness in many ways.
  • The essay I gave to my teacher was uncomplete.
  • I was contentment when I sat on the beach.
 
Scroll down for the answers.

























ANSWERS

  • He was very exciting to see the movie.
  • He was very excited to see the movie.
Wrong adjective form.


  • The teacher tell us last week about his vacation.
  • The teacher told us last week about his vacation.
Wrong VERB tense. 

  • I was on cloud eight when I got my IELTS scores.
  • I was on cloud nine when I got my IELTS scores.
Wrong idiom - make sure you remember idioms accurately.
 
  • People get happiness in many ways.
  • People achieve happiness in many ways.
 Try to use collocations.

  • The essay I gave to my teacher was uncomplete.
  • The essay I gave to my teacher was incomplete.
Wrong negative form. 

  • I was contentment when I sat on the beach.
  • I was content when I sat on the beach.
 We need an ADJ here, instead of the NOUN.
 

 
 

沒有留言: